Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Friday, February 4, 2011

9.9 on the Richter Scale

Here it goes...this is the conversation while my sister Sophie and I are at the U of U ortho center today for my checkup after my surgery.

AHHHHHHHHHHH - It was a 9.9 on the Richter Scale for sure. I think everyone there at the ortho center thought I was having a baby without an epidural or there was an earthquake solely
in my room. No one told me that I had stitches along the joints of my toes that the bone had to be shaved down to place the pins that go to the ends of my toes.

I have been through everything, one would think. I have survived having over 500 staples and stitches removed from without my body but today was the worst pain, I have felt in a long time.

Can you imagine having tiny 6 in total stitches along the middle joints of your toes, that are attached to the delicate nerve endings that have to be removed but in two weeks have become embedded into your skin.

I say never never again. I apologize to my sister for holding her hand so tight that we thought she would go into contractions and have her baby right there because of me.

To the nurse that tried to bribe me with a Diet Coke, like I was three, I say - Been through what I have survived and see how it feels to have someone touch you but it feels like fire all over because of all of the nerve damage that is in my foot.

To the medical assistant - yes I do have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. I was hit by a car going 65 miles head on and because of this every time I step into a doctor's office or clinic, I hope that there isn't going to be pain, but usually there is lots of pain and I just have to "tough up."

I have learned that unless you have walked a mile in my orthopedic boot - this is my 5th that I have had. Do not say anything to me when I am crying. Just simply hold my hand - that will suffice....I promise I will not pass out.

May we all hold each other's hands.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

I'm so sorry that you have had to go through all of this. I can't even imagine the excruciating pain and suffering you have been asked to endure. Doug and I continue to pray for you and Damon. If I had 3 magic wishes I'd wish one for you. But, in the meantime, just know that we love you.

Bethany Hopkins said...

Oh honey I am sorry it was so painful. I wish I could take some of it away for you. But know that though it is mostly in spirit I am there to hold your hand any time you need it. And when possible I will be there physically as well. You are an amazingly strong person to go through everything you have had to and still come out standing and standing strong. I love ya tons! I am glad to hear that everything is healing well.

Krissie said...

Oh Corrine, I am so sorry for your pain. Please, please, PLEASE let me know what I can do for you...anytime, ok?
Krissie

ThE CrAZy GaTEs! said...

Oh you poor thing!! If anyone ever gives you a hard time, you just send them my way. I'll set em straight.. I used to beat up cheer leaders in high school..